Sunday, October 19, 2008

Change

my own fable....

the monotony of grocery shopping never seems to go away. i have a specific route i follow; first the produce in the front, to the meats along the back side wall of the store then to the back of the store to the freezer section, all to find myself weaving up and down each isle so i don't forget anything that should have been on my list.

the only variety i find of my grocery store expeditions are few extras such as a different type of cracker, cookie, or maybe an extra special sugary cereal. this day over a month ago, was no exception as i decided that instead of purchasing our traditional big-bag-variety-pack of chips for work and school lunches which includes, doritos, ruffles, fritos, etc. i would purchase the big-bag-variety-pack of sunchips for a change. wouldn't the family be so happy for a change? i weighed my decision carefully. sunchips are slightly more healthy, i thought, so it's okay if they are a bit more costly. and once again, we need some change in our lives, i thought.

along with the rest of my groceries, i brought home my new find thinking my family would be excited for the change, yet over 1 month has passed and the only person who has eaten ANY of the enthusiastically selected chips has been me. and only for the reason of knowing i didn't give my family a say in what i had chosen...simply for change.

not only did i spend more money just to have change, my family didn't really want change. and now we are all encumbered because of my quick, inept decision.

moral: re-read this and think politics.

No comments: